4.10.2011

Happy Birthday Present

My first gluten free cake order! It gives me great pleasure to be able to cater to someone's food sensitivities because I have been in their shoes.  

Kelley, a friend from grade school, who also has celiac disease (who knew in second grade that we shouldn't have been eating those gluten-filled pancakes we made after sleepovers!), asked me to make a cake for her Mom's birthday.  Several of Kelley's family members have been diagnosed with celiac disease, so it was important for them to be able to enjoy cake at a birthday party as well. I was so happy to do this cake for Kelley, especially because the colors are pink and black and I was able to do a "present" cake! 

I haven't covered a cake in fondant for awhile and to tell you the truth, I was nervous to try it again.  It's a tricky process (at least I think so) and with one mistake, you're back to square one.  I was so happy that it came out good on the first try!  This was my first time making a fondant bow and I was so excited with the way it turned out! My old boss told me that the trick is to make it a few days or a week in advance so that it can set.  I was so glad that I took his advice! I love having the opportunity to do new things and experiment.

Thanks Kelley!

No comments:

Post a Comment